Every aspect of Nebraska Spine Hospital has been carefully designed and developed to focus exclusively on the diagnosis, treatment and recovery of patients with conditions of the spine. From the facility itself, to the dedicated medical and support staff, to the processed and procedures that adhere to spinal care best practices. Nebraska Spine Hospital is singular in its ability to provide a level of expertise that is simply not available anywhere else in the region.
Hospital Within a Hospital
Our hospital within a hospital model provides a level of patient safety that is simply not available at any other specialty hospital in the region.
Encompassing 34 acute care beds, six surgical suites and one treatment suite, Nebraska Spine Hospital offers all the benefits of a stand-alone specialty hospital. Yet, its location, within Immanuel Medical Center, provides further assurance for patients with additional medical conditions beyond the spine – eliminating the need for lengthy patient transport by ambulance or helicopter.
Patient value can be defined as a balance between quality, expertise and cost. Nebraska Spine Hospital excels in all three areas by specializing only in spine surgery.
Every aspect of Nebraska Spine Hospital is designed to maximize the value for our patients. Our spine only focus creates many opportunities for economies of scale which provide excellent healthcare value. By focusing only on spine we are able to invest in the most up to date equipment and training and utilize its fullest potential. The volume of spine patients we see allows the hospital to negotiate excellent rates from our vendors.
Value in healthcare also includes providing the best care. Our orthopaedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeon are board certified and fellowship trained in spine. Outside the operating room, Nebraska Spine Hospital has assembled one of the most supportive and skilled teams of professionals to ensure exceptional patient experiences.
To make an appointment with our board-certified orthopaedic spine surgeons or Dr. Hain, our board certified neurosurgeon click here.
Providing the highest quality spine care is our focus and our quality indicators prove it. Since the hospital opened in 2010 we have earned quality outcomes that are among the best in the country. For example:
- Nebraska Spine Hospital had ZERO Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI) for for over two years. Our benchmark rate is 1.3.
- Our surgical site infection rate for impatient spinal fusion was 0.21 compared to the benchmark rate of 0.7.
- Our average length of stay is 2.05 days compared to our target of 3 days.
100% of our patients receive at least one follow up call within 31 days after discharge.
What do these quality measures mean for the patient?
It means that when you choose Nebraska Spine Hospital you are choosing the highest quality surgical spine care available. Everything we do it to keep our patients safe and to ensure optimal outcomes and unmatched healthcare quality.
At Nebraska Spine Hospital, we continue to find ways to use the most advanced technology and specialized to further the capabilities of our physicians. In fact, we have been instrumental in the development of new devices and equipment as well as perfecting new uses for existing technology.
Because we focus only on spine our surgical suites are state of the art and optimized for spine surgery. Our technology and equipment include:
- O Arm – We have one of two O Arm systems in the region and the only one dedicated to spine. The O Arm imaging system provides real-time, three dimensional surgical imaging to a level of detail that ensures greater precision, improves outcomes, and reduces time in surgery.
- Banyan – Integrates information from the imaging tools, patient monitoring and other data into a single view, delivered in real-time. It also allows surgeons to share highly complex procedures with other surgeons, residents and medical professionals who are able to view surgeries from anywhere in the world.
- Intra-operative Neuromonitoring – Offers critical insight into the nervous system during spine procedures, allowing surgeons to monitor the location of nerves during surgery with optimal precision to reduce the risk to the patient.
- Stealth Navigation – Enables surgeons to more precisely view the patient’s spine during surgery, enhancing the accuracy of the navigation of instruments and placement of devices during even the most complex procedure.
Our patients are extremely satisfied and we intend to keep it that way. Our overall patient satisfaction consistently ranks above the 98th percentile.
By focusing on the individual and not the condition we strive to meet the needs of every patient. It is our goal to make sure you feel heard by every member of staff, from doctors and nurses, to the support staff. We want to provide you a calm and peaceful experience in your hospital room and make sure you feel comforted and cared for.
By focusing on the details we continue to earn excellent patient satisfaction scores that are well above the competition.
For Our Referring Physicians
Keeping the primary care provider as an important part of the continuum of care is what sets Nebraska Spine Hospital apart. We know that patients do better when they are returned back into their primary care provider’s care for recovery and healing.
It is so important that our staff makes a follow up primary care appointment for all of our patients before they are discharged. Our nurse navigator calls each patient after discharge to make sure they have kept their appointment and to see how they are doing.
We will also make sure that all necessary discharge and medical information is at the primary care provider’s office before the patient come in for their post operative appointment.